Thursday, September 24, 2009

Vocab 9/24

Exempt: verb (used with object)
1.
to free from an obligation or liability to which others are subject; release: to exempt a student from an examination.
–adjective
2.
released from, or not subject to, an obligation, liability, etc.: organizations exempt from taxes.
–noun
3.
a person who is exempt from an obligation, duty, etc.
4.
(in Britain) exon

Context Clues: Respect all religions

Sentence from: "Funny in Farsi"(pg 105) "The christian and Jewish students at my school were exempt from religious studies, a fact that caused much envy among the rest of us"

My sentence: I was exempt from class today.

Lucrative:–adjective
profitable; moneymaking; remunerative

Context Clues: N/A

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi"(pg 123) " I didn't want to get on her bad side early on in this lucrative job so I smiled as I tried to untangle her arms."

My Sentence: My up and coming job is very lucrative.

Gendarmes: noun, plural -darmes
1.
a police officer in any of several European countries, esp. a French police officer.
2.
a soldier, esp. in France, serving in an army group acting as armed police with authority over civilians.
3.
(formerly) a cavalryman in charge of a French cavalry squad

Context Clues: sifting through my suitcase

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi"(pg 133) " The gendarmes started sifting through the clothes and the myriad of gifts I had brought for my host family."

My Sentence: When my friends and I went to France, we saw lots of gendarmes.