Thursday, September 17, 2009

9/17/09 Words of the Day!!!!

Dote: verb (used without object) Also, doat.
1.
to bestow or express excessive love or fondness habitually (usually fol. by on or upon)
2.
to show a decline of mental faculties, esp. associated with old age.

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi" (pg.103): "Now whenever we visit my relatives, all of whom dote on my husband, I realize that he didn't marry me despite my tribe, he married me because of them."

Context Clues: N/A
My Sentence: They dote on their youngest daughter.

Enviable:–adjective
worthy of envy; very desirable: an enviable position.

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi" (pg 98): "Even though their condominium has only a tiny garden, they managed to cultivate an enviable cornucopia of figs, pomegranates, sweet lemons, and herbs."

Context clues: A. Cultivate
B. wonderful

My Sentence: I have an enviable outlook on my goal in life.

Strewn:verb (used with object), strewed, strewn
1.to let fall in separate pieces or particles over a surface; scatter or sprinkle: to strew seed in a garden bed.
2.
to cover or overspread (a surface, place, etc.) with something scattered or sprinkled: to strew a floor with sawdust.
3.
to be scattered or sprinkled over (a surface): Sawdust strewed the floor.
4.
to spread widely; disseminate: to strew rumors among the troops.

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi"(pg. 113): " To my delight, I found that the lawn had been strewn with miniture Iranian flags."

Context Clues: A. miniture Iranian flags

My Sentence: My neighbor has a strewn of flowers in her front yard.