Thursday, October 8, 2009

To Get Away

As a young child my Mom would read to me the book "Bedtime Stories" or when I was two years old "Goodnight Moon". I would have her read them over and over again because I loved the stories so much. My Mom has always loved to read but not as much as my Auntie Meme. My Auntie Meme reads a book a day! She still does read a book a day, I am simply amazed of how many books she reads in a week. In her room, it is like a hidden treasure chest under water of books. It is so much fun going through all the books she has and has not read yet. Another person in my life who loves to read is my Nana. My Nana loves to read too, but she doesn't read a book a day. It is a book a week, I still consider that pretty fast. With these terrific people in my life, they have shown me the joy of a book. My life is a universe of words in beautiful books, that I like to call my getaway. From the time I started school I was encouraged to read a book or two every summer. I wasn't very fond of reading when I was little, you could say we were enemies like Grendal and Belwolf. Over time though I've became a fan of all books from Sci-fi, Romances, Comedies, Action, Biograghies, Plays and whatever else is out there. Through reading I have became more aware of my imagination. I know everyone has some imagination but mine goes beyond normal. I read three to five books at once for fun. Everyone always wonders "well, how do you keep the stories straight Katrina?" I always respond with " I cast them with people I know." Books, in my opinion are apart of your family, they'll always be there. My strengths as a reader today are comprehending and understanding what the story is about. A second strength of mine is remembering a book after I read it once and suggest it to someone several years later or the next week if I liked it. My reading habits, I never really read the same author twice now because of the book series " The Chronicles of Narnia". I read all of them and they each started the same and ended the same, there were no surprises by the third book. That's when I decided to explore the whole bookstore. I also read three to five books at a time because I treat them like a television shows. This is another reason why my mind is so out there. Right now I am currently reading "The Film Club, "No Place Like Home", "Dragon's Keep" and about to start reading the play "Private Lives". I wonder who is going to be casted in "Private Lives"?