Tuesday, October 6, 2009

10/6/09 Words

Mantra: noun; a word or formula, as from the Veda, chanted or sung as an incantation or prayer.



Sentence from "Funny in Farsi" (pg. 129): " I should've sold everything and brought the money to America a long time ago" became his mantra."



Context Clues: A. repeatedly told me



My Sentence: Welcome to the family is my families mantra, and are the only words I hear everytime I bring home a guy.



Backdrop: noun
1.
Also called, especially British, back-cloth Theater. the rear curtain of a stage setting.
2.
the background of an event; setting.
3.
Gymnastics. a maneuver in which a trampolinist jumps in the air, lands on the back with the arms and legs pointed upward, and then springs up to a standing position.



Sentence from "Funny in Farsi" (pg. 140): " Against this backdrop of teenage angst, there would have to be a symbol, a representation of the confidence that comes with eventual intellectual and spiritual growth."



Context Clues: A. topless models in the background



My Sentence: The backdrop went from blue and purple shades to pink and red.

Frugal:–adjective
1.
economical in use or expenditure; prudently saving or sparing; not wasteful: a frugal manager.
2.
entailing little expense; requiring few resources; meager; scanty: a frugal meal.

Sentence from "Funny in Farsi" (pg. 123): " After having baby-sat for every frugal family in town, I eventually hit the mother lode."

Context Clues: " ...five dollars and...twelve divided by sixty..."

My Sentence: My family can be real frugal sometimes, even though we are very well off.